The ESV Scripture Journals are great for pastors. In this review, I take you inside the Scripture Journals, show you what they look like, and offer you 5 practical ways to put them to use in your ministry.
ESV Scripture Journal Review for Pastors
The ESV Scripture Journals are paperback, with enough bend to lay flat as you use them.
The paper inside them is thick enough that my felt-tip pen isn’t distracting when I turn the page. If you like to highlight and underline Scripture inside the ESV Scripture Journal, the paper can definitely handle it.
I love the way these are laid out inside. One page is the Scriptures in a single column design and the other side is simply lined for you to write on.
5 Practical Ways to Use the ESV Scripture Journal in Your Ministry
- Personal devotions // This is the obvious one, but what I’ve loved about the ESV Scripture Journal is that it encourages me to slow down as I read God’s word.
- 1-on-1 discipleship // Picture this: you set up a once-a-week lunch with someone from your church and you both read through Scripture together and talk about what you read over lunch. It’s simple, but it’s also powerful. These are great tools to use because not only will you both have the Scriptures with you when you meet, you’ll also have your notes with you too.
- Discipleship group // Okay, you might be a leader of a small group (or life group or community group or whatever you call them at your church) but what if you went a step further. If you’re a guy, set up a once-a-month Saturday to get together with the guys in your group to read through Scripture together. So this is the same kind of set up as 1-on-1 but with a larger group. If you’re a gal, do the same thing with the gals in your group.
- Advanced sermon prep // Let’s say that next year you’re thinking that you’ll preach on the book of Mark. Well, read through the book of Mark using the ESV Scripture Journal and as you read it, write down your thoughts, illustrations that come to mind, application points, and everything else. This is a great way to get ahead in your sermon prep.
- Gift for others // The ESV Scripture Journal is a great gift idea for someone’s ordination, for new Christians, for your ministry staff, and really for anyone else who is a student of the Scriptures.
Purchase the ESV Scripture Journal
You can grab these on Amazon. An individual book is as little as $5.99 while the entire Old Testament set goes for $139 and the entire New Testament set goes for $59.
I highly encourage you to check them out and consider buying one to give it a try.
Level Up Your Preaching
Do you feel like you’re in a preaching rut? Do you want to take your preaching to the next level?
Are you tired of feeling like your sermon preparation process isn’t efficient?
In Sticky Sermons Academy, we help you do 5 primary things:
- Help you develop your own system and schedule for sermon preparation.
- Help you get ahead and stay ahead in your sermon preparation.
- Help you write and structure your messages in such a way that implements the characteristics of story.
- Help you deliver gospel-infused messages intentionally and powerfully.
- Help you and your team extend the sermon beyond Sunday.
Level up your preaching by getting life-time access to Sticky Sermons Academy. We would love to help you improve your preaching in a powerful way.
Grow as a Preacher and Leader [Free Resources]
Want to grow as a preacher and leader? We’ll help you do it. Just subscribe to the blog. And to get you started and as a way of saying thank you, we’ll include 6 free resources: Building a Leadership Pipeline Packet, Pre-Formatted Sermon Notes Template, Sermon Evaluation Worksheet, 56 Weeks of Preaching Topics, Sermon Series Planning Evernote Template, and the Weekly Productivity Evernote Template. All this for free when you subscribe.
This article contains affiliate links which means that if you purchase the ESV Scripture Journal through my link, I’ll earn a small percentage for referring you. This doesn’t add any cost to you.